Saturday, February 25, 2012

Antique Swedish tiled stoves

Image from Sköna Hem

It's been snowing for 2 days now. A beautiful, heavy snow! My love for antique swedish "kakelugnar" is nothing new, but on a day like today, I wish I had one! They look absolutely amazing in modern and minimalist interiors. They were quite common in upper class homes in the 19th and early 20th century, but sadly, many of them were thrown away in the 60's, as people didn't need or like them anymore. I'm really mad when I think of all those ceramic tiles in the dumpster... I wish I had a time machine to go back and save them all! Luckily, people appreciate them again today, and if you want your own kakelugn, some antique dealers in Sweden collect them and give them a new life!


Image from Desire to Inspire

Image from Inspiring Interiors

Image from Elle Decor

2 comments:

  1. Those are so beautiful! I wish I had one in my home- so sleek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was sold recently at Bukowskis Market's auction house: http://www.bukowskismarket.com/items/285055-kakelugn-nyrokoko-1800-talets-slut
    Nice!

    ReplyDelete