Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Marrakech Design: Best floor of the year!


I received a few days ago Elle Interiör's latest issue, the 2013 design awards edition which features the best swedish design of the year. Lots of beautiful finds, I can't say that I love everything, but it's a great way to learn about up-and-coming designers!

Marrakech Design won for the "best floor" of the year, and they truly deserve it,  I've been eying those tiles for a few months now!

"Marrakech Design is a Swedish company specialized in encaustic cement tiles. The tiles are made by hand according to a production process developed in southern France towards the end of the 19th century. Nowadays, however, the world’s major production center for cement tiles is Morocco. The new collection by Claesson Koivisto Rune is all made at a factory just outside of Marrakech."

I love the moorish/hispanic designs of Morrocan tiles, but the modern/nordic twist given by Swedish architects Claesson, Koivisto and Rune to the traditional tile could almost convince me that I need new floors...

And look how you can play with the tiles to create different patterns! 









No comments:

Post a Comment